Cloudy Boracay

Cloudy Boracay

Thursday, December 13, 2007

The psychology of smells is incredibly fascinating. Apparently, even smells that aren't detectible can influence the way you view things. Which reminds me of what Chris told me once about how he only likes people if he likes their smell, or something to that effect. And to a point that has worked for me, but thinking about how many people i think of with associating "fragrance auras" so to speak, I've realised that a lot of my good friends are neutral. Those with the distinguishable and memorable scents i definitely remember, but other than that, not everyone seems to have a personal scent that i detect and remember. For that matter, I seem to be the absorbent sponge of smells, and i inevitably end up smelling like whatever whoever was rustling up for lunch or dinner just before I left, or the person i was last together with. Which is alternately incredibly annoying and plain nice. I remember smelling zsing on my arms after I've reached home, and well. i love that scent (not the post exercise smell of perspiration), but the random smells of either his perfume which i love, or lingering chlorine, which i have learnt to associate with him. It's like how smelling fresh laundry somehow elevates my mood as well. Speaking of which, I managed to smash my lip against the wardrobe door trying to inhale the fragrance of my newly laundered turtleneck by recklessly half-spinning around in the small confines trying to make sure that the hanging clothes still smelled of detergent and not fried fish, which also tends to happen. Like when I was on the tube just now and wondering if the guy next to me was silently protesting the faintly fishy oily smell that my jacket which I had assumed to impervious to smells (a logical assumption, given that the material repels water and blocks the wind and should therefore reject all smell molecules) was emanating because he kept putting his hand near his nose, which is what I do when I do my silent protests. Which all made me slightly embarrassed and upset at fried stuff. bah.

Ok. the only real reason i was fascinated enough by this to want to blog this given that i generally have stayed off my blog is that I am in the midst of an essay ( i wanted to use 'throes', but i figure it isn't quite appropriate given my general reluctance and inability to immerse myself in it) which i seem to be no longer able to continue on account of a general lethargy and the fact that it's 2 in the morning and I'm somewhat crashed out from capoeira. on which topic I suppose i could occupy one of my freer nights writing about since it would probably elucidate the many complexities that now exist in my mind. I think i shall go sleep and write this essay tomorrow morning before janet's class. Sleep is probably good.

No comments:

Post a Comment